Deutsch

The Hermann and Margrit Rupf–Foundation



In 1954, the collector–couple instituted the Hermann and Margrit Rupf Foundation with a large part of their collection. The objective of the foundation is to preserve and extend the collection. The Kunstmuseum Bern was commissioned to take care of the foundation collection, which in 1954 consisted of about 300 important works of Classical Modernism.

So far, it has been possible for the Foundation to extend the collection with the funds made available by the donors. The investments have been largely in contemporary art, in keeping with the wishes of the collectors. In recent years, important groups of works by Swiss artists like Bernhard Luginbühl, Meret Oppenheim, Markus Raetz, Dieter Roth and Otto Tschumi, as well as representatives of Concrete Art like Richard Paul Lohse and Max Bill, have been included in the collection. At the same time, international positions such as those in the works of Ad Reinhard, Donald Judd, Joseph Beuys, Brice Marden, Joseph Kosuth, Lucio Fontana or James Turrell have also extended the range of the Rupf Collection.

In order to be able to continue to pursue this collection and acquisition policy, in 2007 the Rupf Foundation agreed a corresponding concept:
-


-
-
To expand the Rupf Collection: existing groups of works from the collection which Hermann and Margrit Rupf acquired between 1907 and 1954 (before the inauguration of the foundation)
To expand the groups of work mainly acquired by the Foundation (since 1954)
To acquire contemporary works by younger artists whose works tie in with the focal points of the collection to date.